Two brothers founded Capitol City Pawn Shop Inc. in 1962. The original location was across the street from the present location at 1001 SE 6th street in Topeka, KS. Originally, the company was started as an offshoot of the rental business. They operated the rental store on one side of the building, and the pawnshop on the other side.
In 1966, a tornado destroyed the building. Capitol City Pawn Shop Inc. remained true to their customers and quickly rebuilt the store at its current location. Throughout its history, Capitol City Pawn Shop Inc, has publicized itself as Topeka’s most liberal loan company.
The desire to offer the customer a clean store with great values on quality pre-owned merchandise, set the company far ahead of the competition. Setting new standards in customer service, the company developed a computerized system of handling loans and inventory in the late 1970’s. This was unheard of at the time.
In 1987, Jayhawk Pawn & Jewelry was opened in Lawrence, Kansas. With the philosophy of offering the customer the highest loan value, they quickly grew to be the premier pawnshop in both Lawrence and Topeka.
The increased business in Topeka called for opening a second store at 17th and Washburn in 1993. This store offered a new level of customer service with a late night walk-up window and stayed open 7 days a week.
Capitol City Pawn Shop Inc. has continued to grow by expanding to 7 locations across Kansas, keeping its pawn business focused on loaning the most money with the best customer service. All of the merchandise is thoroughly cleaned, tested and guaranteed. Capitol City Pawn Shop Inc. offers its customers great values on pre-owned goods. Its employees are knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous. Employees strive to help out everyone who walks through the door, whether it is in sales, purchases, or loans.